Skip to main content

Ramayana Performances

I wanted to wait until we had seen the all of the scheduled renditions to write a post about the Ramayana performances. First of all, by the time we arrived to India, all of us were encouraged to have familiarized ourselves with the story. To ensure this knowledge was set, the beginning of the second week we had a pre-dinner "Ramayana Party," with a plethora of deliciously appetite-spoiling snacks, in which we all squeezed in to one of the single rooms and attempted to collectively recount the tale from beginning to end. Turns out that is difficult to do in one hour! With everyone having read or taken in different translations, it was really cool to put all the wide pieces together. I read a beautiful copy by Ranchor Prime, the Wikipedia summary and a couple of us had watched a children's animated movie. Anu had heard the story since she was little, so she had a lot of different parts to add, and there was also a graphic novel, feminist interpretation called "Sita's Ramayana" floating around among us.. Needless to say things got a bit rowdy. Which was preferable to any pop quiz I've taken!

All this was in preparation for the puppet show that was coming the following evening. From all of our prepping - which started with Steve raving about it months before the trip - we were ready for a incoherent yet vulgar shadow puppet rendition of the Ramayana. What we got wasn't so far off, but there was no crowded room with children giggling at the swear words in Kannada, nor was it the whole story. Instead we were invited into a room at SVYM and instructed to have fun with it. And fun we had. For about an hour we zoomed into one chapter of the tale, rotating between awe-filled confusion when we didn't know what was going on, and enthusiastic laughter when we figured out which puppet was Hanuman, Ravana and Lakshmana.



There was so much love that went into the show, that the moments of misunderstanding were overwhelmed by widening our eyes at the beauty of the puppets and the sound of the songs bellowed from inside this tent. When we did understand, it was so fun be be raucous and bewildered, playing along with the energy of the show. At the end, the 5 family members rolled out of the tent like a clown car and were greeted with a hero's applause. I would have loved to snuggle up with some KurKure and mango juice and see the whole performance, but that 12-hour endeavor may be for next time around...







About a week later, in the same room, we were treated to a dance rendition of the Ramayana. It was organized by Kripa Phadke, the dance teacher in our group, and performed by four of her current students, and was equally if not more mesmerizing than the puppet show. More scenes were represented, but it was a similar language barrier at first - the Bharatanatyam dance form involves the use of mudras, symbolic hand gestures that, when strung together in context, convey a story. But the level of skill and our now beginners knowledge of the story helped us really hang on to what was happening. There was also a full band accompanying the act (with a killer flautist), lights and beautiful adornments of jewelry and colorful clothing. The dancers gave their all, with facial expressions and full body involvement the whole time. Ravana attempting to lift the bow, the golden deer scene, and Hanuman searching for Sita were among the group's favorite moments.


Words really don't do it justice, so here are some shots from Anu...







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monkey Mind at Sunrise

Yesterday, my dad was pestering me about not sharing enough sensory information about Mysore - the sights are clear, but what about sound, smell?? I thought about why that was, and - sound aside for the time being - I realized that I am often confronted with an unfamiliar or decontextualized smell - at the hostel, in the streets, a temple, a concert etc. At first it feels like something I could know, that I've smelled before, so I lean into it a little bit, taking a deeper breath in. There's some word I could maybe cling to - sweet, sour, smokey, citrus - but often even that morphs in on itself and I'm left with a strong urge to qualify. Is this good or bad? And then someone cries "I love that smell!" or fondly "Ah, India" or aghast "What IS that?" or again fondly "Ahh, cleanser" and my mind clings to it. If no one is around to force my hand in this choice, it tends to be done according to my mood or energy levels. The more tired I

South Indian Classical Music "Lecture"

To me, if one is peacefully tuned into the rhythms of nature, any type of art will be sensational and revealing. But, to mere mortals existing in the realm of monkey mind and constant differentiation, it helps to have some introduction to the structure of the music. This morning we had a lecture on South Indian Classical Music, which was really more of an interactive concert; "a bridge between what you know and what happens on stage." Gathered around on colorful blankets in the same room that we had orientation, four experienced musicians sat before us and earnestly began to unravel some mysteries of the entire world we'd just become immersed in. It really came at a perfect time because, after having seen a couple of concerts and taking about a week of lessons, there was some mystery that could have turned into unfounded mythology, or go completely unobserved. Some take aways that were helpful to me, but PLZ check my handiwork and excuse my inevitable misunderstan

Dilly-Dally in Dilli Haat

I don't know why I expected to be seen by someone I know here. That sensation of anticipation - a mixture of excitement and fear - flooded my senses when a woman's body loomed over me. Ultimately she was just pointing at a booth in the distance. After Plan B met a dead end (aka follow an Auntie around to learn the ropes of bargaining) due to an uninspired role model, I returned to the idealistic movements that I was too hot and tired to carry out moments prior. Sometimes it takes a middle-aged woman to wake me out of my stupor. I tried to get the wooden, snake-biting-your-finger box for my new friend, but the boy selling it said that it was 100rs and the Styrofoam letters with their pastel colors seemed to dance as they taunted of the "fixed price" so I smiled and walked off. Thus, quest for the journal was back on. Not quite sure how much I'd like to pay for it, but remember that at Sapna it was something like 150. I stop at a stall just befor